Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tinted Tail Lights!

I have been thinking about this for awhile and sadly its probably my last mod of the summer before school (I should really be packing instead of writing this lol). I saw on dude (owner of the "Danger Van") on the AFC who had tinted tail lights. It looked very cool indeed. I spent some hours researching what to use and do. I bought some VHT Night Shade spray paint (found here) and went to work! I pulled out the Tail lights (quite simple really just take off some bolts and pull 'er out)
here are the bolts to take off
Then I pulled it off and it looked like this:Then I taped off the tail lights where I did not want the paint to go. I left the back up light unpainted. After that I painted a thin layer, moving the car back and forth. It proceeded to do that about 2 times, waiting a half of an hour before the second layer. I actually held the car too close to the tail light on my first try and it ended up with a slight 'zebra' pattern (that is, a few dark lines are more visible if you study it for a bit, and the paint formed a few darker puddles). But I actually like that one better, it gives it more character.



I really am satisfied with the results. I hope that it does not come off in a carwash, it shouldnt. I was going to clear coat it but the guy at advance auto parts said I do not need a clear coat with Nite Shades. I would love to put a Manik Black Tail Light Guard over them but the world seems to have no more of those for a 'tek... sadly...

Here are some photos:
Before:
After ( its hard to tell from the photos b/c they were taken into the sun):





No comments:

Post a Comment